High Flying

“I’m flying high over Tupelo, Mississippi…
with America’s hottest band…
and we’re all about to die.”
                                     – Almost Famous

I always think of the above quote from Almost Famous when I fly.  I hope to never experience what the characters in the movie experienced on their flight but it is also one of my favorite scenes.  It shows just how dysfunctional a team can be but still pull it together to accomplish a single goal.  If you have never seen the movie I highly recommend it.

This week’s journal entry is being written 30,000 feet in the air.  I am currently on a flight from New Orleans to Santa Barbara, CA for a week long work meeting.  Everything I have seen or heard about this trip so far is that it should be a good time in a beautiful area.  If nothing else, I am looking forward to the nice cool weather to train in.  This will certainly be a welcome change from the sauna I currently train in. 

I do have a bit of a bone to pick with Delta though.  My wife and I arrived at the airport around 6am for a 7:15am flight.  We attempted to check in and print our boarding passes.  This should be a fairly simple process and one that you would think the airlines would have figured out how to complete with little to no issues by now.  After several attempts at the self-kiosk, we had to stand in line to speak with someone about not being able to check-in or print our boarding passes.  The debacle finally got cleared up around 7am just in time to see the TSA security line had grown considerably.  We were with some of my coworkers who were also having the same issues.  One of my coworkers raised enough hell for one of the Delta managers to walk us to the head of the security line.  Thank goodness too because we were the last to board the flight and just in time.  So, thank you Delta for helping us skip the security line after causing us to almost miss our flight.

This past week has not been very interesting to write about.  I have continued the circuit workout 3 days a week and it is still as hot and humid as ever.  It does seem however, that I may finally be reaching the point where the workouts are still tough but I am not as miserable once the workout is complete.  I did complete a 5 mile run last Sunday and a 6 mile run this past Saturday.  The 5 mile run was pretty miserable and I was pretty wiped out for most of the day afterward.  The 6 mile run however, felt smooth from beginning to end and I felt great the rest of the day.  I’m not sure if this had anything to do with what I ate the night before either run or if I am finally reaching that point where my body is finally not fighting me anymore.  My hope is for the latter.

This entry was posted in Geoffrey. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *